Since 1981 CIVITAS has worked to improve transportation
, zoning and land use, parkland, and streetscapes on the Upper East Side and in East Harlem. On Tuesday, April 4th, East Side leaders will gather to celebrate thirty-six years of work at our annual benefit
, taking place at Sotheby’s, 1334 York Avenue.
Please join us as we present the August Heckscher Award for Community Service to City Council Speaker Melissa Mark-Viverito in recognition of her major contributions to quality of life in East Harlem, on the Upper East Side, and throughout New York City.
Since 1981, CIVITAS has been dedicated to improving quality of life on the Upper East Side and in East Harlem. Currently, CIVITAS is dedicated to positively transforming our neighborhood through engagement with the community and by advocating for:
– A reimagined waterfront including a reopened and improved Pier 107; increased access and amenities along the East River Esplanade; and a living shoreline in East Harlem.
– Sound zoning policy and practice in both the Upper East Side and in East Harlem including a proposed new zoning designation aimed at preventing the proliferation of ‘superscrapers.’
– The East Harlem Neighborhood Study where, in our capacity as a steering committee member, we developed common sense zoning recommendations for the neighborhood.
– A highly effective recycling and composting education program in our local schools.
– The second phase of the Second Avenue Subway.
– Timely issues, including the preservation of the small-scale “mom and pop” retail streetscape that characterizes some of the most cherished commercial districts within our community.
Our annual benefit is a critical source of funding for CIVITAS. Due to board member and volunteer donations and assistance, we are able to keep event costs reasonable. As a result, funds raised from the benefit go directly to supporting our day-to-day operations.
We hope you will join us in celebrating CIVITAS’s accomplishments and in our efforts to strengthen and invigorate the organization.
Address: 1334 York Avenue, New York
Find other events at New York on Evensi!